Thursday 18 October 2012

Marni A/W

Looking at Marni's Fall collection and I'm instantly painting images in my mind of GCSE art and my brief exploration of De Stijl, or neoplasticism as it is also known. Recognised for the strict use of primary colours plus black and white to create horizontal and vertical blocks and lines, the movement- to quote the Guggenheim Museum's online article (thanks, Wiki)- is a 'fundamental principle of the geometry of the straight line, the square, and the rectangle, combined with a strong assymetricality'. Although, it was not Consuelo Castiglioni's stated source of inspiration behind the collection (the fact that there are other colours beside red, yellow and blue present proves this), you can probably see how I formed the immediate link.

Very sixties, very Art Deco, garments are formed with clear precision and an artistic energy that keeps Marni's prints as active as always. I'm especially in love with the Foulard collection (below). The shirts, the skirts, the bags: just several items I want in my life right now.


2 comments:

  1. Great collection! Love the structure and straight lines! Thanks for sharing.

    Sita xx
    http://buttonsapart.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in LOVE with the yellow skirt. Marni have the best art deco and graphic print pieces.

    Christie x

    Dark Blue Stripes

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot ♥